A few weeks ago, I decided I needed a break from big city life. I ran into my colleague, Courtney, at work and casually mentioned if she ever needed a house/dogsitter, I’d be more than happy to oblige.
Background: Courtney lives 89% closer to work than I do, and she owns this dog:
Courtney replied: “Careful what you wish for…my brother’s wedding is in Washington in a few weeks and I was going to board Gibbs…” to which I immediately thought: “Wishes do come true!”
Now here I am, living the life of a suburban mom and absolutely lovin it. Here’s what has happened this weekend:
- I drove a car to and from work! Like a real person!
- I cooked like, 3 meals.
- I got home at 6pm on a Thursday. It was a glorious 3 hours back in my night in which I sat on my computer and continued working. But, hey I was at home (not my home, but a home, which counts) and having a glass of wine with an adorable pup by my side so…sort of winning!
- I doubted whether I had closed the garage door.
- I doubted whether I had locked the front door.
- I doubted if I had turned off the coffee machine.
- I had done all 3!
- Except for the coffee machine, b/c turns out it was too fancy for me to figure out how it worked.
- Had a girls sleepover where we painted our nails (and Gibbs’ one blonde nail) and promptly fell asleep by 11pm.
I also took Gibbs, Courtney’s dog (who I am currently conspiring to make my dog by telepathically incurring dog allergies to her next in kin), to Santa Cruz, for the Googler’s 3rd beach volleyball tournament!
Gibbs cried whenever I missed a shot (expressing my true emotions even when outwardly I said “Oh ya, great serve…nice spike…nice uh, over the net thing you did there”), ran onto the court whenever I was playing, and even saved me from the big bad ocean waves (until he got knocked over by a big wave in which I saw his thought process: “Oh my god, you’re getting swallowed by some weird cold blue stuff! I will save you! Here I come! I’m dog paddling to you and really hating this, but I love you and want to bring you back to your senses. Ahh, there’s a big weird cold stuff coming! Ah, it tastes horrible and I can’t breathe! SQUIRREL? You’re on your own, human…I’m outta here…squirrel!”)
Other fun things that happened while bumping, setting and spiking in the burbs:
- Kerri Walsh “liked” our fb photo from the volleyball tournament!
- My volleyball partner and I won runners up in the 2nd runners up division of the volleyball tournament…Rio 2016, here we come!
- Gibbs got a bath! He was not a fan.
- Before Courtney left me with the keys, she offhandedly mentioned “there is a 3 gallon tub of cookies ‘n cream ice cream…we’d really appreciate it if you could polish that off….and I’d be really impressed” to which I thought “Challenge ACCEPTED!”